XYREM Success Program® for Patients
To support patients in obtaining and using XYREM®, Jazz Pharmaceuticals along with the FDA developed the XYREM Success Program® for Patients. This program includes educational materials about XYREM, and toll-free access to the XYREM central pharmacy (SDS Pharmacy) where specially-trained staff are available to answer questions 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The XYREM Success Program makes sure that XYREM is distributed and used in a safe way.
Once your doctor has faxed your XYREM prescription to SDS Pharmacy with the XYREM Success Program:
- An SDS Pharmacy team member will check to make sure the prescription is valid.
- An Admissions Specialist will then call you within 48 hours to review your insurance coverage. (See the question on next page, “Is XYREM covered by insurance?”)
- An SDS Pharmacy team member will schedule your shipment with you. The team member will confirm that you have read and understood the XYREM Success Program educational materials. If your doctor did not give these materials to you, SDS Pharmacy will mail them to you before or with your first shipment of XYREM.
SDS Pharmacy will always confirm where and when you would like your XYREM delivered. They will also confirm who will sign for your shipment. This person must be at least 18 years old. It can be you or someone you choose.
XYREM will be shipped via overnight delivery service. You or your designee must sign for the shipment. Your designee’s name will be kept on file. SDS Pharmacy will match the delivery signature to the one it has on file. They will also call you to make sure you got your shipment.
If SDS Pharmacy can’t reach you, an SDS Pharmacy team member will leave a phone message and ask you to call back. The toll-free number (1-866-997-3688) of the SDS Pharmacy will show up on caller ID. The words “Express Scripts” may also appear.
XYREM is a prescription medicine used to treat the following symptoms in people who fall asleep frequently during the day, often at unexpected times (narcolepsy):
- suddenly weak or paralyzed muscles when they feel strong emotions (cataplexy)
- excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in people who have narcolepsy
Patients can only have their XYREM prescriptions filled through the XYREM Success Program®.
Important information about XYREM includes the following:
- Twice nightly dosing: the first dose is taken at bedtime and the second dose 2½ – 4 hours later.
- Both doses should be taken while sitting up in bed.
- Do not take XYREM if you take other sleep medicines or sedatives (medicines that cause sleepiness), drink alcohol, or have a rare problem called succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency.
- XYREM is available only by prescription and filled through the central pharmacy in the XYREM Success Program. Before you receive XYREM, your doctor or pharmacist will make sure that you understand how to use XYREM safely and effectively. If you have any questions about XYREM, ask your doctor or call the XYREM Success Program® at 1-866-997-3688.
- XYREM is a controlled substance (CIII) because it contains sodium oxybate that can be a target for people who abuse prescription medicines or street drugs. Keep your XYREM in a safe place to protect it from theft. Never give your XYREM to anyone else because it may cause death or harm them. Selling or giving away this medicine is against the law. Therefore your XYREM must be used only by you, only as directed by your physician, and stored in a safe, secure place, away from children and pets.
For more safety information, see the complete safety information and storage and safety tips at home.
Talk with a XYREM Patient Connection Mentor
The XYREM Patient Connection program provides an opportunity for you to talk one-on-one with a mentor who has been diagnosed with excessive daytime sleepiness and/or cataplexy with narcolepsy, and has been treated with XYREM.