SIMPLE, STEP-BY-STEP DOSING
XYREM is a liquid that is taken in 2 nightly doses: one at bedtime and another 2½ to 4 hours later. Both doses should be taken while in bed.
Read the Instructions for Use in the Medication Guide for detailed instructions on how to take XYREM. Follow the steps shown below to prepare your 2 nightly doses of XYREM.
In addition, help is always just a phone call away. You can always reach out to a pharmacist or a Nurse Case Manager from the Certified Pharmacy, or your healthcare provider, if you have questions about how to take XYREM.
Start by gathering what’s needed
Start by gathering what’s needed
To prepare the dosage each night, you need:
- 1 bottle of XYREM (the size and shape may vary, but the method of dispensing is always the same)
- 2 dosing cups with child-resistant caps
- A liquid measuring syringe
- A measuring cup and water that you will provide
Insert the liquid measuring syringe into the opening on top of the XYREM bottle, and draw the liquid for the first XYREM dose into the syringe. Fill the syringe to the point on the scale that shows half the total nightly dose. For example: If your nightly dose is 4.5 grams, you will fill the syringe to 2.25 grams for your first dose. half the total nightly dose. For example: If your total nightly dosage is 4.5 grams, you will fill the syringe to 2.25 grams for your first dose.
Note: The press-in-bottle-adaptor will already be put in place by the pharmacy. If it is not already in place, consult the Instructions for Use that come with your XYREM for directions on how to insert the adaptor.
Empty the first XYREM dose into 1 of the 2 plastic dosing cups. Make sure the cups are empty and do not contain any medicine from the previous night’s doses. To prepare the second dose, draw up the other half of the total nightly dosage into the syringe, just like the first dose. Then empty this dose into the second dosing cup.
Using a measuring cup, add about ¼ cup (60 mL) of water to each dose of XYREM. Use tap water or bottled water. There is no need to shake or stir after the water is added.
Place the child-resistant caps onto both cups and turn each cap clockwise (to the right) until it clicks and locks into its child-resistant position.
Place both doses in a safe place close to the bed and easy to reach. The doses should be out of reach of children and pets. If for some reason you do not use a XYREM dose within 24 hours after mixing it with water, throw it away.
Put the cap back on your XYREM bottle and store it in a safe place out of the reach of children and pets. Rinse the syringe out with water and squirt the liquid down the drain.
Taking the doses
If you are prescribed XYREM, you should take the first dose once you are in bed for the night and at least 2 hours after eating. Then 2½ to 4 hours later, or as directed by your healthcare provider, take the second dose while still in bed. XYREM can cause sleep very quickly. Some people fall asleep within 5 minutes and most people fall asleep within about 15 minutes. That is why you need to be in bed for each dose.
STORING AND DISPOSING OF XYREM
Keeping XYREM safe
Because XYREM can be dangerous if misused or if it gets into the hands of children, it’s important to create a safe spot to keep it.
- Store XYREM in its original container at room temperature.
- Keep it in a safe, secure place out of the reach of children and pets.
If you accidentally take too much XYREM, or someone in the household takes XYREM by accident, call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, dial 911, call your doctor, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
Disposing of XYREM
When you can no longer draw the medication out of the bottle, pour any unused XYREM liquid down the drain. XYREM should always be handled properly according to state and federal regulations.
Protecting your privacy
You should scribble on the label with a marker to cover your name, address, and the XYREM name before placing the empty bottle in the trash or recycling bin. These steps help protect against illegal use.
TRAVELING wITH XYREM
You should make sure you have enough XYREM for your entire trip and make sure that your XYREM stays safe and secure. If you are prescribed XYREM, just follow these easy tips:
Before the trip
- Always take enough XYREM with you for your entire trip. Contact the Central Pharmacy if you will need a refill before the end of the trip.
- Always keep XYREM in its original bottle with the pharmacy label intact.
- Take your dosing cups and liquid measuring syringe.
- Only take as many XYREM bottles as you need for your trip. Store any bottles you leave behind in a secure place.
- Carry your XYREM on the plane with you. Do not pack XYREM in checked luggage.
- If traveling in the United States, check with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at www.tsa.gov or call the Certified Pharmacy at 1-866-997-3688 and ask about how to travel with medicines.
- If traveling outside the United States, be aware that XYREM may be subject to a different set of laws in other countries. The pharmacy label must be on the bottle, and bring a note from your healthcare provider that says you have been prescribed XYREM for your medical condition.
- If you need more advice about traveling with XYREM, contact the central pharmacy. The pharmacy is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 1-866-997-3688.
During your trip
- When you arrive at your destination, always keep your XYREM in a secure place. Make sure your second nightly dose is placed in a secure place close to your bed, out of reach of children or pets.
- Do not forget your XYREM when you are packing to return home.
- If you run out of XYREM while traveling, call a pharmacist at the Certified Pharmacy. If you are traveling overseas, call the Certified Pharmacy at +314-475-6000, ext 361 587.
- Call the Certified Pharmacy if you have any other questions about traveling with XYREM.
After your trip
- Return your XYREM to the safe, secure spot where you normally keep it.
- If your XYREM is lost or stolen while traveling, report it to the local police right away. Also report it to the Certified Pharmacy.